Statement of Work
I need a two piece application. One piece is a transmitter and the other is a receiver. Both pieces will be finished products incased in plastic.
The first piece is a key chain (the smaller the better) that beeps (loud enough to be heard when in a pocket) when it is out of range of the second piece. Out of range is approximately 7ft (free space in pocket), but changeable distance may be a nice feature to have, but not necessary. The device will continue to beep until it is back in range or a mute button is hit. There is a mute button on the key chain that will mute the device when it is out of range. Once the device is back in range the mute button action is canceled (i.e. the key chain will beep when it is out of range again). The mute button must be so that it will not be accidentally hit while in a pocket. The battery should last at least 6 months if not more. The device should beep when it is almost out of batteries and the beeping should be different than the out of range beep.
The second piece is a USB device that has a USB input port for another device to work as normal (“pass through”). This device "talks" with piece one. The smaller the size of piece two the better. Optional: locking feature to secure the input port with the device that is plugged into it, this is not for security, just for holding the pieces together.
I am looking for low development costs as well as low production costs. Production costs need to be less than $20 for 1 unit, but should be significantly less than this from what I have priced out.
1) Readers and tags must be "paired" in order to work in a multi-application environment.
2) The link frequencies are to adhere to FCC regulations for signals.
c. Optional: The tag sensitivity is software programmable so the distance can be changed.
3) The buzzer and mute button hardware and firmware must be implemented on the key chain.
4) The low-battery alert firmware must be implemented.
5) The reader must be capable of being powered by the USB connection to a PC.
6) No software is necessary for the device to work.
7) A locking mechanism to keep the USB port (input) connected to whatever is plugged in. This is not for security reasons, it is so the plug will not easily pull out.
Total Product costs should be less than $15 per unit once done with development & design.