DECISION MAKING USING DATA/INFORMATION – Microsoft Excel Assignment 70 points
Students will use excel as a tool to help make decisions of a new small business selling specific products. Using Microsoft
Excel, students will develop data models and formulas to simulate an information system that provides business information for
strategic decision making. Students will utilize Excel to create and capture data, formulate the data into information, utilize the
information to analyze scenarios, and draw business conclusions.
Your final Microsoft Excel project workbook (file) will include the following worksheets (tabs). Specific instructions, concepts,
expectations, and demo will be provided during scheduled class session. It is highly recommended that you attend all classes to
obtain the skills and understanding to complete this assignment.
The Business Idea:
• Fast food restaurant offering four specific type of items.
Your will be provided an Excel Template as a starting point. The Excel Template will contain the following sheets (Tabs)
which you are to make functional as instructed in class:
• Configuration – Setup Variables
• Marketing Model – Sales & Marketing
• HR Model – Human Resources
• Cash Flow Model - Accounting
• Graph & Charts – Executive Reports
• For each sheet, the cell colored in blue are decision variable cells. Within these cells, users of your excel model will
be able to change the values contained within it. Decision variables are decision points that you, as a potential owner of
this simulated business, may decide and/or test so the model will generate calculated results (information from the
data) to help you determine the impacts to the business.
• For each sheet, the cell colored in gray are calculated values. Within these cells, you are expected to develop
formulas so the sheet can yield correct calculated results based on your decisions entered into decision variable (blue)
• For all decision variable and calculated value cells, you are to make sure the formatting of the cell is correct. Example
if the cell represent a percentage it should be formatted to %, and if is a dollar is should be presented with $.
• You are not to rearrange and/or reformat the layout within each sheet provided to you as the assignment template. The
exception is you are free to design your graphs in the last sheet as long as it meets the requirement stated in the