The developer of a Flash based E-learning module requires a code rebuild to increase the program efficiency and make it easier to update in the future. details as follows:
Cooperate to Win Bug List
[url removed, login to view]
The interface consists of a Flash movie in an html page. The parent swf calls up a large number of streaming flv's during runtime. The full, continuous program length for the end user watching all the video clips is about 3 hours. These flv's have event cues which trigger events in the presentation. Specifically, they trigger the sequential appearance of button sets in various menu movie clips. These buttons contain links that take the user back to various points in the flv's. The flv video clips were built in Premiere CS4, imported into After Effects CS4 and encoded there. There are also html pages with css, nested in the parent swf.
1. System performance needs to be optimized. Large amounts of resources are required to run the program, resulting in stuttering of Flash animation and video clips on many systems. Videos run out of synch and stutter on many systems. The video clips are encoded with After Effects at 850 kbps video and 120 kbps audio. If there is any way to improve performance without reducing the video data rate, that is preferred. It may be necessary to decrease the video data rate as well.
2. All site page transitions are animated, and must be optimized to work smoothly and consistently, and if possible, be set up for easy editing in the future.
3. All links sitewide need to operate smoothly, and at all times during runtime.
4. The program is coded in AS2. If conversion to AS3 is required, this needs to be implemented.
5. There are 3 versions of the right hand navigation menu in the program which transition by animation during page changes. These menu transitions must be optimized as well.
6. In one of the program sections called “Mohamed Explains”, the right navigation menu is dynamic. Event cues in the flv's trigger different button sets as the video progresses along the timeline. These buttons contain links that refer back to the same event cues in the video, and change the video in point on release. The user can choose these links to navigate through the video.
1. This functionality needs to be made to work consistently and accurately. The synch / timing is out, and the function of the links is inconsistent. It may be necessary for navigation cues to be added to the flv's, in addition to the event cues which are there now.
2. As the video stream progresses, the cues which trigger the button events become active. Cues in the portion of the video that have not yet streamed are inactive. Buttons appear in the menu that point to these inactive cues, and these buttons must be made inactive until the cues become active.
3. When the video player 'scrubber' handle is released, the button set that corresponds to the scrubber handle's position in the timeline appears. This functionality must be made to work consistently and accurately. The rewind button must also work accurately, by displaying the default menu frame when clicked.
7. “Extros” are videos that play when a “Quiz” link is chosen. These call up a unique set of right navigation menus that contain buttons which are inactive – they appear only for display. Point C in item 6 needs to be applied to these extro menus.
8. The back button on the upper right needs to be programmed to provide at least 4 levels of undo, site wide. Does this require completely rebuilding the code?
9. The program must fill the screen (on a PC) by default; the escape button must restore access to the desktop. I know this is a simple line of code in frame 1.
10. On the splash page and main home pages, 2 button clicks are required to activate links, as opposed to just one click. This must be corrected so that only one click is required.
11. Links need to be checked site wide. This can be handled on our end.
12. The quiz functionality must be corrected as follows:
1. When the user clicks a wrong answer, a red X appears in the button icon, and an explanation appears as to why the answer is wrong. This can be done on our end.
2. The quiz results need to be reformatted. This can be done on our end.
13. Html code nested in the parent swf appear in the Syllabus and Help pages. This needs to be formatted properly using css that is compliant with Flash. Right now, there are double spaces throughout. We can fix this ourselves, but we need the formula to do it.
Sample production files are available here: [url removed, login to view]
Will start with just enough for 3-5 days or work as discussed to get to the point where can give a low-risk, high-confidence estimate for the remaining work.