This 20 year old website is a long-term project for the right person or team with the requisite talents: C, Perl, CGI, HTML, and later Open Source SQL. Bid on Phase I only, please.
A) The existing website, developed as a proof-of-concept, allows a user to create and display classified ads for a niche market.
B) Development will be online via a test & development system. The original system development team members will be available to answer questions and provide direction.
C) The back-end is a combination of Perl and C code modules. The Perl unpacks and repacks Apache CGI format parameter strings for the stand-alone C modules. The C modules are conventional main(argc, *argv) C programs that in turn output standard HTML files and code to the Linux Apache server, and updates ASCII database files.
D) Upgrade project will occur in multiple Phases. Please bid only on Phase I. Subsequent phase descriptions are provided to give a sense of direction and as as incentive, only.
I) Phase One: Upgrade existing code to Version 3.20 as follows:
1) Become familiar with the Perl and C source code in the appropriate modules while performing the following tasks. Most processing occurs in two C modules.
2) Modify the Subscriber Form code to register a Client by including a password creation and edit capability.
3) Add a new Account database that contains only the username (email address) and an encrypted password in CGI format for each Client. e.g.
Provide for inclusion of other account information, e.g.
4) Modify the Subscriber Form such that if the subscriber already exists in the datbase, a username/password is required to edit the Subscriber Form.
II) Phase Two: Upgrade to Version 3.21 (Do not bid on this phase, yet):
1) Provide regression testing procedures for each extant database to prove it still works following upgrade.
2) Adapt this modification to all existing DIY Client forms amd attendant databases.
2.1) Upgrade each form to confirm username/password prior to allowing Client access ro require new registration.
2.2) Upgrade each ASCII CGI database code in the system, such that a Cleint must be signed-in to add a Client record to each database, or to edit an existing Client record as follows.
2.3) For example, include a Client account field in each record of the existing databases in the Linux Apache CGI format. For example, append this field with appropriate email address to each record in every database:
3) The record update code must confirm the Client's credentials via the username/password database described in Phase 1 before creation or editing is allow to proceed.
Given the simplicity of the project, and current exchange rates, I expect proposals to be evaluated at $8-$10 (USD) / hour.
Depending on contractor performance, there may be more long-term opportunities, both simple and complex.
10 freelancers are bidding on average $196 for this job
Hi, looks like the most time would be spent on "Become familiar with the Perl and C source code" at the phase one. well. send me scripts or the server access information and let's start . Thanks, Steven
Hi, Greetings from Jyesta Technology. I personally have around 4 years of experience in perl scripting. Please get in touch for further discussion on the project. Regards, Jyesta Technologies