This job requires 10 simple black and white illustrations for a short book that is due to be published later this year. Each chapter will contain an illustration, taking up approximately half of a page and in proximity to the relevant text. (Note these are not full page chapter title images).
About the book
The topic of the book is onomatopoeia, (words that are based on actual sounds). While it is slightly academic, the book aims to be light-hearted enough to be a good read for anyone interested in language, literature, linguistics etc. The reader is likely to be more educated than average, and the material is somewhat intellectually oriented, but ultimately it is a quick, cheap and cheerful read, nothing too serious!
How I will choose an illustrator to do this work
Please provide examples of previous illustrations you have done that demonstrate the style you propose for this job, or something close to it.
You will need to be able to easily and naturally apply this style to your illustrations (as opposed to having to research and come up with a new style specifically for this job). This is so the project can proceed quickly.
The timings for this work are tight:
- First illustration for review, to ensure we are on the right track.
- Full set of 10 illustrations by 20 March
- Any touch ups or final modifications needs to be completed by 22 March.
Happy to discuss how you would like to work in terms of approvals.
The illustrations must be simple, with straightforward black outlines on a white background.
The style of the book is intelligent, but fun and light hearted (think a small, cheerful book you might see at the counter of a book store). So the illustrations must reflect this.
The illustrations must all have a consistent style (including stroke weight, text style and size for the thought bubbles, speech bubbles and sound callouts), so that they form a coherent visual experience throughout the book.
I do not need detailed backgrounds (or any backgrounds at all; at most, a few relevant background items to put the image in context may be required, but hopefully not). The characters and any props should be the focus of each image.
List of illustrations required (10 in total)
1. Shopper swiping a credit card at a checkout, with the sound "Ker-ching?" emanating from the till.
2. A new bride and groom facing each other, in front of a "just married" sign. A speech bubble appears coming from the bride, saying "What a terrible day".
3. A Giant ape (vaguely looking like King Kong) ringing a small doorbell, with the sound “Kin-kon” emanating from the doorbell.
4. A shark crashing through a wooden door, with the sound ‘GASHUNK” emanating from the impact.
5. A man and a woman kissing, with the sound “bilabial lingual ingressive click” emanating from the kiss.
6. A human saying "woof" to a confused dog, who replies "What?" (speech bubbles)
7. A cow with musical script coming out of its mouth, as if it was singing.
8. A person in front of a computer, with bulging eyes, telling somebody (who is not in view) “Let me goggle that for you".
9. A pig selling a car with a $$$ price sticker on it (maybe to another animal, or another pic, or if it’s obvious, no animal at all). A speech bubble appears from the salespig: “This car has grunt.”
10. Two frogs, one says “croak”, the other replies "You aren't from around here"
Black and white image (no greys).
Vector images preferred (EPS, AI, INDD, PDF) but TIFF or PSD also acceptable.
While I am open to different styles, and not limiting it at all to just the styles presented in the examples below, here are some references which give some sense of possible direction (remember I only need Black and White images though):
1. [login to view URL]
2. More upon request
If successful, the book cover may be a second, follow-on job for the right illustrator.
115 freelancers are bidding on average $983 for this job
Hello! Please take a look at my Portfolio to have an idea of my work and feel free to ask for more samples of drawings. I will be glad to provide them. Hoping to hear from you soon Sincerely Claudia