I have a Perl plugin for Pidgin (Ubuntu 20.04) that I've used for years that uses espeak to speak the name of the chat room or direct message received. (That way I don't have to look at the window to determine if I need to respond immediately.)
The version of pidgin supplied with Ubuntu 20.04 crashes when I use this plugin. I suspect that the Perl API is no longer working properly.
This project is to convert that Perl plugin to C/C++.
I will provide the source of the Perl plugin which must be replicated in the C/C++ plugin.
- Must be able to be built with standard linux/Ubuntu command line tools. (I may modify it later.)
- Must work perfectly with Pidgin 2.13.0 on Ubuntu 20.04
- Must have the same functionality as the Perl plugin.
- Configure either via the Pidgin GUI or a configuration file (I don't care which)
- Configurable command for calling espeak
- Configurable command for playing a room specific notification sound
- Configurable list of room names that are ignored (no sound)
- Configurable list of room specific sounds to play
- Configurable map of room name to alternate name to be passed to espeak
- Configurable startup time - during the startup time, no sounds are played/spoken
- Documented source code
- Make file