About the Company
Hive Lighting Inc. is an American manufacturing company based in downtown Los Angeles. Hive Lighting manufactures high performance, energy efficient LED and Plasma lights for Film, Photo, TV, Digital, Science and Sports.
In 2016 we introduced Hive’s first Omni-Color LED. We have grown Omni-Color LED technology into our C-Series product line, developing intuitive control systems, precision optics, proprietary color arrays, to create the most versatile lighting solutions for still and moving images.
About the App
Our fixtures can be controlled in three ways: by physical controls on the housing, by DMX512 systems, and through Bluetooth. Our proprietary mobile app allows the user to change the light’s brightness, color, and other settings in an easy and intuitive way, using the Bluetooth connection. Now, we’re looking to expand the app to a wider range of devices and functions.
About the Role
Our current app is developed in React Native for iOS and Android. We’d like to hire a freelance engineer who will be our go-to person for adding new features and managing the codebase on a part-time basis. You’d be working within a small cross-functional team consisting of our Product Manager and our Designer, and also coordinating with the hardware team to make sure the app and the lights are talking to each other properly.
This work will consist of a series of “projects” in which we introduce new features. You’d be consulted initially about technical feasibility and timing, then presented with product requirements and designs, then build the features and release, then monitor for bugs and potentially release small fixes. Your first project would be to take the current version of the app, which is built specifically for iPhone and Android phones, and adapt it to work well with tablet-size devices.
We’re looking for an engineer who:
- Has been working 2+ years as a professional mobile developer
- Has extensive experience creating apps with the React Native framework (we’d love to see examples!)
- Is familiar with development for macOS and Windows desktop as well (for future versions)
- Has experience working with hardware/software communication through Bluetooth
- Has experience using wired USB connection for operational commands and firmware updates
- Has experience building and integrating web APIs (for firmware downloads, etc)
- Is comfortable working remotely and on an as-needed basis
- Takes pride in the quality of their code and delivering robust products
- Is a critical thinker and proactively looks for opportunities to improve functionality
The ideal candidate would be:
- Familiar with the basics of lighting, color theory, and principles of filmmaking
- Comfortable with Google Firebase for crash reports and analytics