Our company has been working on reducing the bandwidth/data throughput of streamed videos (aka "video optimization") by lowering the quality of adaptively streamed videos. Optimization is accomplished by modifying the manifest such that the player on a mobile device receives a limited set of video quality options and must select a lower quality.
We are seeking to have developed an Android app which is essentially a transparent proxy sitting on the Android device that is a capable of accessing ssl encrypted adaptive streaming manifests, modifying it as desired, and then re-encrypting and redirecting (essentially doing MITM SSL interception). The basic concept is to have the proxy sit on the device, at the network layer, intercepting all traffic as needed in order to modify the manifest (or anything else) and hence, optimize the video the user is intending to watch. We will provide self-signed certificates that can be downloaded from our server through the developer's app for use with the proxy to do the encryption/decryption.
We want to approach this app in three phases - a phase will only be paid if (a) the entire phase is completed as described and (b) the result stays strictly within the guidelines provided below.
If the developer/company has another approach they would like propose, we are open to hearing it, but it must at least stay within the guidelines (below). For guideline #1, it doesn't have to necessarily be a proxy-type of solution, but it cannot result in any kind of scary messages.
a. Developing and implementing the transparent proxy as described above.
b. Optimizing YouTube videos played through the browser - we will provide a description of the changes that need to be made to the manifest.
a. Applying the optimization to YouTube videos played through the YouTube app. Specific details for doing this optimizing are not available and will have to be determined by the developer and discussed with us before implementation.
a. Test the proxy solution against the following sites/apps and make it feasible for us to confirm whether or not "scary" messages are shown when viewing videos (they do not have to be optimized) in each case:
1. Facebook (website and app)
2. Snapchat (app)
3. Instagram (app)
4. NetFlix (website and app)
5. Twitter (website and app)
6. Twitch (website and app)
1. Use of the app/transparent proxy solution cannot result in any type of "scary messages" from the OS, the Chrome browser, apps or any other source - "Scary messages" include, but are not limited to, the following:
a. "Network may be monitored by an unknown third party."
b. "Check credentials - A trusted certificate on your phone is allowing a third party to monitor your network activity, including your emails, apps, and secure websites."
2. The app must work with an off the shelf Android device - no rooting or any other modifications being required. We need a straightforward and simple experience for the user, the user can just install straight from the Play store like any other app.
3. The app must be standalone, not requiring additional/separate/manual installations of anything else for it to work (the certificates we provide are the exception to this guideline).
4. Ideally we would like the app to work on Android 4.4 and above, but it must at least work with Android 5.0 and above.
5. It must work at least over a cellular connection, but ideally over both wifi and cell.
6. It must be possible for us to own the technology without additional expense or licensing issues so we can license and/or potentially sell it in the future ourselves.
7. The solution must be capable of tracking bandwidth used for a particular video being tested with a specified video quality level. This guideline only applies to phases 1 and 2, and is limited to Youtube videos.
Please provide a fixed cost quote for Phase 1 along with time-frames and estimates for doing Phase 2 and Phase 3.