I have an existing Perl script consisting of roughly 20,000 lines of Perl code, which I need to be translated into Ruby. I could do this myself, but I am currently at full capacity - plus, my Perl is very rusty these days.
I am looking for someone who is very comfortable with Perl, who can go through the script and port it without problems. You should obviously know Ruby, in order to be able to do the translation, but you do not have to be a Ruby expert. I am a Ruby expert and will be rewriting the code you give me, so you should not worry about whether you are writing excellent Ruby code. The accuracy of the translation is more important.
- Provide an estimate of the time you would need to complete the translation, and what you would charge (either as an hourly rate, or as a total cost). Please use USD or GBP for your quote.
- Make it clear how much time per week you will be able to dedicate to the work, and when you would be finished by. Although this project is not time-critical, I would prefer it to be done sooner rather than later!
- Have very strong experience of Perl, and be totally familiar with the syntax and able to use various modules/packages etc. without difficulty.
- Have strong object-oriented programming (OOP) experience, both in Perl and Ruby.
- Have good Ruby knowledge - enough to translate Perl into Ruby.
- Be comfortable with writing daemons and client/server communication processing.
- Have all the necessary software tools to carry out the work (you will need to be able to test on a Linux machine).
- Understand written English well, in order to comprehend instructions without confusion.
- Be able to write understandable English, to facilitate good communication.
- Be contactable via email, with clearly-defined response times.
- Be able to communicate via written Skype conversation at certain times (these can be pre-arranged to suit both of us). You will not be required to have voice conversations but if you are happy to, we could do.
- Live anywhere in the world. I really don't care what country you live in, so long as you can produce quality work and we can communicate.
- Work whatever hours you want. I will not ask you to work at specific times or be available at any particular time, except when we have scheduled a Skype conversation (maybe once per week). Generally we will keep in touch via email.
Some additional notes:
- I use Debian Linux exclusively, and although I do not mind what Linux distro you test on, the code you send me must work on Debian.
- The code is related to mail systems and therefore knowledge of mail standards and protocols will prove advantageous.
- Several Linux applications are interacted with, so familiarity with Linux - especially Linux mail software - will be important.
- It will benefit you greatly if you are able to show prior experience in the same area as this project.
- I'd like to hear about your skills, previous projects, etc. Your resumé, in other words.
I do not want to provide the code to be translated with this posting, so if you are interested in this work please contact me and I will send you the existing Perl code (via private message or something) for you to look through. You can ask as many question as you like, and once you are satisfied that you understand the task, and are able to complete it properly, submit an estimate. I am not looking for the cheapest quote, but rather, someone that I feel I can rely on to do the job properly. I work as a programmer myself (I run a small software company) and have over ten years of experience in this area, so I will not be fooled. Please only bid if you are technically competent and fully able to complete the task.
Once successfully completed, this will lead to further work providing I am satisfied with how this project has been handled. I have around five or six similar projects lined up, just waiting for me to find the right person. It is my ambition to find someone reliable that I can continuously give projects to, and so we could well be looking at over a year of work if you play your cards right.
Regarding costs - I have selected "medium project" because I feel that is the nearest match, but please ignore the budget and submit whatever estimate you feel is fair.
Regarding payment - I am new to GetAFreelancer, but don't let this put you off. I am not sure how payment is usually handled here, but I am happy to pay by PayPal or bank transfer/wire transfer. I also do not expect you to have to finish all the work before getting paid - that does not seem fair to me. Rather, I would agree interim stages with you, whereby you complete some work, and I check it and pay you. That way, I can keep an eye on what is happening, and you know that you are not going to end up in a position where you have worked hard for no money (I have had that happen to me several times, and it always sucks). If you have any worries at all about payment, please talk to me even if it is before you bid. I'm open to all sensible proposals (but I will NOT do escrow - it is not at all convenient for me).
If you have any other questions, please let me know.
5 freelancers are bidding on average $1480 for this job
Dear Prospect, Though we have moved on to ROR at this point of time, we have good Perl background and would like to offer our services for this project. Kindly refer to PMB for further information. Thanks