We need to re-write a Visual FoxPro program into PERL. The following tasks will have to be performed:
- Open Transaction text/CSV file (sample file and documentation attached)
- Extract the data and make some basic calculations/rollups
- Save all the extracted and calculated data into a MySQL database (database schema and data for the sample GMI file included)
- No user interface is needed. The program is executed 5 days/week at a specified time of day vi cronjob.
- The Perl script will run on a Linux environment but should also work on Windows (ActiveState). Feel free to use any active modules available in CPAN.org.
- The original script downloads the file from a SFTP server. This step is NOT NEEDED! For the moment just hardcode the filename.
Visual FoxPro code is very similar to Visual Basic with some dBase-style extensions, and should be fairly straightforward to port. The original programmer is available for consultation.
Call me Mr. Y when answering to this post. that will let me know that you read my description.
I've attached a ZIP that contains the following:
- [url removed, login to view] - The GMI text/CSV file that needs to be imported.
- the rcg folder contains original Visual FoxPro project and the DBF files will contain the data for one day.
- [url removed, login to view] - The MySQL data structure and imported/calculated data from [url removed, login to view]
- [url removed, login to view] - This is the GMI text documentation. You might not need it if you follow the original code.