Topic: Encouraging co-ordination and participation among teachers and parents through online community building.
Introduction to the problem:
Parents and teacher are often faced with the problem of keeping each other appraised about the progress of the kids. According to the current schooling system, parents usually meet teachers once a term to discuss about their children’s performance and evaluation. Parents can also set an appointment with teacher if they need to discuss urgent issues. Moreover, due to the busy schedule of parents, sometimes it is difficult to follow up children’s progress.
This project aims to build a website with a strong emphasis on forums [restricted to parents/ teachers] which can provide a common platform for parents/ teachers to discuss and co-operate for the overall educational well-being of the kids. Additionally, this project will focus on providing tools for children to share what they been reading, logging the no. of hours spent reading, ask for help from other students etc. This approach will also empower parents to check their kid’s progress and compare it with the progress of other kids at their own convenience. A mobile app for parents will be developed for Blackberry and Android devices to push the new announcements, discussions and messages on the website to parents who are always on the move.
- Children’s parents will be able to discuss together their children’s behavior or education issues
- Teacher, who will be the administrator of the online community of her class, can post announcements, homework, assignments and she will have another communication channel with parents. She can answer any further questions about her children since the school time is limited.
- Children will have the chance to talk to each other outside the school environment and the website will give a chance to shy children to participate.
- The online community will also help children isolated geographically or due to weather conditions to collaborate on homework
- “Just Read” activity can be maintained online. (Recording each book read and/or home many reading minutes/time period) instead of manual reading log. This idea will motivate children more since the child can see other kids reading logs.
- To motivate parents and children to contribute, there will be incentives such as different memberships’ types, badges
- Teacher and children’s family can socialize more by coordinating for birthday parties or other social activities through the online community