Thank you for looking at this project. I would be interested in your views.
I am trying to create a website to allow students to record themselves reading text that is posted by the site owner. The text may be a poem or prose, such as a story. The text needs to be displayed like a karaoke display. The user will speak the on-screen text and record it. At the end of the recording the voice recording is uploaded to the server. The quality of the voice recording should be in a format which preserves as much quality as possible.
The voice recording is combined with a pre-made backing track (music, sound effects etc.) which has been created to the exact timing of the displayed text. The two sound tracks (voice and backing) are combined together as a single MP3 or MIDI which is published on the website. There may be a role for using .KAR as a file format but I'm not sure what the advantages of this are.
Other users can record backing tracks to text files on the site. This allows students a chance to use different backing tracks as they want. They can then select different sound tracks to sit behind their one voice recording.
There are several parts to this site, as follows:
1. Something like a karaoke lyrics display interface where highlighted text is revealed according to strict timing. It doesn't have to be very fancy but it must allow the reader to keep strict time.
2. Voice recording through the browser (see note below on Java.). Buttons around the text allow the starting (and perhaps pausing) of recording and termination/cancelling of recording at the end. The voice recording can be stored locally and automatically uploaded to the server if this will allow for higher voice sound quality.
3. The user can select one backing track for their voice recording.
4. The two files (voice and backing) are combined and a single MP3 created.
5. The single MP3 is posted to the website for download. The voice track without backing is also posted to the site. The user can select another backing track for use with their original voice recording.
6. There is a facility for uploading backing tracks for each piece of text.
7. A simple database for holding information on users, sound file, recordings etc.
Other notes and requirements:
The technology used should be able to be used on all common browsers, iPhones, iPads. No FLASH. The voice recording should be java or something similar. There used to be a product called javasonics ([url removed, login to view]) which allowed recording through a browser. Something like that would be ideal.
There is a product called iStar Composer ([url removed, login to view]) which allows creation of lyrics and timing. I need this type of interface to create the text files to be displayed, but they need to be exported in such a way as to display in a browser and on an iPad (so no FLASH).
I have done part of the design on the site already which I can let you see if it would help understand the concept.
11 freelancers are bidding on average $537 for this job
I like the look of this project, and am keen to work on it. I'm am experienced at coding audio applications and am deeply involved with music on a day to day basis.