Seeking programmer to create an online quote feature for a competitor who wishes to emulate the estimate features on 1. [url removed, login to view]
2. [url removed, login to view]
3. [url removed, login to view]
The intent is to enable a person who buys a vehicle online on [url removed, login to view] or some dealer, at a distance, to be able to arrange shipment of that vehicle with site owner, a transportation company within the USA.
* Upon collection of starting and ending zip codes, make an approximation of mileage.
* Factor in a cost of fuel, a variable that the site owner can easily update.
* Collect a type of vehicle (small car, van, large truck -- see website examples)
* Do not require email address or name or phone yet.
* Allow for special state by state surcharges to be factored into th ecost.
* Allow for certain zip codes to be excluded from generating an immediate online quote, such that some zip codes instead prompt user to fill out a web form or phone for more details.
* On the page where the cost quote is presented, ask some qualifiying quesitons where the cost could be more precisley calculated:
* Ask whether vehicle must be 'enclosed' or not, at an extra fee
* Ask for make and model of vehicle, to verify the quote cost, which is looking at data maintained by the national automobile dealers.
Programmer will be given wireframe mockups of all screens, and all copy, and figures for fuel cost and state by state surcharges and list of zip codes to exclude from immediate cost calculation. Work will be coordinated online via Basecamp and Skype. Calculator will likely be embedded in WordPress or Drupal website.
As for data sources, you could anticipate being given access to the car make and model information in the two databases described at http://pluup.com/car-make-models.php
As to the matter of calculating distances between zip codes, that is an open question that I'd welcome your suggestions on how to achieve. I know of a SOAP web service that makes distances between zip codes in USA available, but am open to alternatives and suggestions. If you make a suggestion, that would give me more confidence in your actually understanding how to complete this project.