In my research I need information about some geographical points and some routes connecting them. The manual procedure is as follows:
a) find the location on Google Earth
b) write down coordinates of the point
c) check the table Points in a mysql database to see if this point exists already
d) if it does not exist in the table, then add the point (its coordinates and associated information).
* (points mode) given a database with points, can display them on the map;
* if I click on a point, displays its information and makes the information editable;
* (route mode) can construct a route by clicking consecutively on points;
* can display routes with different colors
* I shall be able to edit information about the routes.
The two modes above can be two separate web pages, if that makes your life easier.
I plan to use the webpage(s) only on my computer. So it must be as simple as possible, no special design, basic foolproof, no security, no Ruby on Rails. I should be able to copy the folder into my Apache's www folder and it must run out of the box (if the Internet connection is provided for google maps). It must be shown correctly on Firefox 4 and all components must fit in a screen with resolution 1200x800 without scrolling.