I am running Virtuemart on a dedicated server.
I am constantly having to reboot the server due to it locking up as a result of high server load where the memory gets consumed.
I believe the cause of this has something to do with my categories in Virtuemart.
I have +- 15000 products in +- 1600 categories. Some products are listed in mulitple categories.
I have a number of 3rd party scripts that are executed after hours to extract our products for listing on price comparison engines.
The high server load occurs usually when these scripts are executed. It could happen that they will successfully run a number of times and then randomly one of them will trigger the above.
I have also had to disable all my Category Menu modules (I have purchased several thinking I would find one that does not cause this issue) as when they are enabled the Server Load increases and in a couple of minutes the server locks up. With the Category Menus disabled the server runs fine.
Based in the above I believe the problem is to do with the categories. But I can be mistaken.
I have also tried tweaking the MySQL and Apache environment settings, however don't think these are configured correctly i.e. memory allocation, caching etc as I am no expert.
I don't believe the problem lies with the 3rd party scripts nor with the category modules as these are being successfully used on 100's of other larger virtuemart environments without causing these issues. I think they fall over when they run through the categories.
WHAT I REQUIRE:
1) Investigate and troubleshoot to determine cause (Categories, environment, scripts)
2) Suggest and impliment a fix
3) Configure MySQL and Apache to be better optimised for my virtuemart environment
4) Monitor to ensure the issue is fully resolved (It may need to be monitored for up to 14 days as this is often the interval at which I need to reboot the server)
Your bid must be inclusive of items 1, 2, 3 and 4 above and must take into account the Success Criteria and important notes below.
1) The 3rd party scripts must no longer cause the server to "lockup" nor cause excessive server load
2) The Category Menu Modules must no longer cause the server to "lockup" nor cause excessive server load
NB: This is a live site so apart from monitoring, no changes to be made on the live site without testing offsite first.
NB: When implementing changes, this is to be done between 21:00 - 04:00 (UTC+02:00) Harare, Pretoria)
NB: Absolutely all changes to be documented (what was changed and when) so that if required we can revert back.