Description of the apps:
App 1 Multiple Choice Vocab Quiz: This program will display a word and then 4 options with circles next to them. The user must select the circle next to the word (in the foreign language) that most closely resembles the word displayed at the top of the box. They then select “Answer” to see if they were correct or incorrect. After displaying the result, the program moves onto the next question. There will be 40 questions. The program needs to then display the total number of correct answer and total incorrect.
Please also try to make it look a little fun/fancy from a graphic standpoint. It will be used by children age 4-8 and the default java interface is too dull. I provided an example of a nice looking one below..
[url removed, login to view]
App 2 Voice Recognition Vocab Practice: For the voice recognition portion of this app, we will be licensing the Watson API from AT&T. Watson is the voice recognition software that can be linked into an app at the beginning of the program and then be called throughout the program. I can provide more info and tutorials on using the Watson API.
The program itself will be quite simple and will run as follows:
-Interface notes: A box with a word in the middle of it. One button on the lower left that says “Repeat” another button that changes label between “Next” and “Skip”.
1) First a word will be shown on the screen
2) after a small pause an audio clip of it being said will play (we will provide the audio clips)
3) the user will then have a chance to say the word into a microphone
4) The Watson api needs to be called in the program and it will check the incoming audio clip (the one the visitor said) by connecting to the Watson database then it will return a string sequence (a word) that it believes was said.
5) the program needs to check this word with the word on the screen. If it is a match, the program should display correct and the button on the lower right side change to “Next”. Else, the program should display “Sorry try again, please select Repeat”. The child can then click the “Repeat” button to hear the sound clip again and redo the loop OR they can choose “Skip” on the lower right. At the end of the program (40 words) the program will display the total number correct and total number skipped.
This app should also look nice from a graphical standpoint. We can provide cut out images of the characters as well if you choose.
Both of these apps will be added onto a website (in HTML5 / php / mysql). You may need to work with our website developer to help load the apps onto our website but they also should have some experience with this.
We would like to choose the programmer by 9pm Friday Sept 21st (Seattle / Pacific time zone) so they can get an early start.
Both apps need to be completed and fully functional (without bugs) and uploaded onto the website by Friday Sept 28th 11pm (Seattle / Pacific Time zone).
Innovative Education Network