We have just upgraded our Interspire Shopping Cart software to Interspire Ultimate edition V 6.1.1, and find the functionality of the user search facility to be poor.
A search for example of LED Torch returns several pages of search results. The first 10 results contain the word torch in the title, but not the word LED. It is not until the 11th result that an item with the word LED in the title is shown.
We wish to have the search function refined so that it does the following, and organize it by the following relevancy. For the search of a 'LED Torch' with the product code '51P'
1) Search product title for an exact match i.e. '9 LED Torch'
2) Search product tag for an exact match i.e. '9, led, torch'
3) Search product title for a fragmented match i.e. '48 LED Superbright Torch'
4) Search product tag for a fragmented match i.e. '48, led, superbright, torch'
5) Search product product code for a exact match. '51P'
6) Search product code for a %LIKE% match. 'BEN51PT'
7) Search product title / product tags based on a 'relevancy match' outlined below
Relevancy match - If a search is done with more than 2 keywords i.e. '9 LED TORCH', it would return results in the following order.
1) Items featuring '9' + 'LED' + 'TORCH' in the title / tags. (exact match order)
2) Items featuring '9' + 'TORCH' + 'LED' in the title / tags. (fragmented order)
3) Items featuring '9' + 'LED' in the title / tags. (exact match order)
4) Items featuring 'LED' + 'TORCH' in the title / tags. (exact match order)
5) Items featuring '9' + 'TORCH' in the title / tags. (fragmented order)
The search should never return results based solely on 1 word of the search string - the minimum it will use out of any string is 2. i.e. a search of 'electric cordless kettle' would never be able to return 'cordless drills' but would return 'electric cordless kettles', 'cordless kettles' and 'electric kettles'.
We know clearly how we want our search function to operate, and as such would want to know exactly if there are any areas where assumptions may be made.
Thanks for your time.