1. First, I have an old forum that assigns numeric IDs in message urls, which is suboptimal for SE spider/bot consumption. An autoupdating sitemap that links to a lo-fi version of all message data, using hyphenated keywords in urls, and search engine optimized title/description/meta data/HTML header tags, is needed to make the site more SE accessible and friendly. There are 55K threads, so this may take a little while to complete.
2. Search term matches need to be highlighted with <span></span style="background-color:yellow"> in search results. This task will be the simplest of all, and should only take a few minutes, at most, to complete.
3. Complete an unfinished "auto notification" script in which posts are submitted to the moderator forum when messages are flagged by users, users are auto-banned, and when a message awaits moderator review. The script is nearly done, so this task shouldn't take very long at all.
4. Redesign post/reply forms and related scripts to achieve the following:
-Replace current posting code with bbcode standard.
-Disable/remove outdated post flags
-Integrate smiley/emoticon selection into post form.
-Allow users to select their preferred post editor from user settings (plain textarea with bbcode enabled or WYSIWYG)
-Allow users to post polls
This is a little more involved than the previous tasks and may take some time to carry out.
5. Design/implement working user profiles with the following features:
-User editable fields such as occupation, website, interests, location, about me, signature, etc.
-Edits/changes to above fields must pass through a banned words list and be subject to mod review/approval (and integrated with item 5 above)
-Hyperlink user handles directly to corresponding profile pages
-Allow users to select their timezone and adjust time displayed accordingly (this may be tricky)
-Profiles must list online status, last login date/time, date registered, links to 10 most recent posts,
-Auto incrementing count of total number of topics, and total number of posts (this will require a simple script for crawling through old post data and counting posts made by each user found)
-Implement the use of avatars (this will require editing the showmessage template to include avatar images if defined by user) either through uploading to the server or linking to external sources
-Combine existing "logo" and "signature" fields into one (i.e. allow images in signatures)
This task will likely require the most effort, but don't let that intimidate you, as this is really just a series of small changes that shouldn't overwhelm an experienced Perl coder.
6. A new trading/toplist script written in PHP is to be installed on the older Perl/CGI based forum as a replacement for the site's native toplist/referrer stat tracking (which is to be disabled). Someone is already working on the PHP side, but Perl/CGI expertise will be required to modify the Perl/CGI scripts and templates, as necessary, to fully integrate the toplist, referrer stat tracking, and partner signup features of the modern PHP script with the old site. This task won't take much time once familiarized with the website.
7. This task is similar to above, only this time a PHP ad management application, OpenX, is to be integrated with the old site, and the site's native ad generation is to be disabled. Again, this shouldn't take long once familiarized with the workings of the site.
The forum software uses a combination of custom written Perl and Shell scripts that were authored in 2002. Message and user data is stored in flat text files as opposed to an actual relational database. However, an online forum testbed will be made available, and I will actively work alongside the service provider, answer questions, and point out relevant directory locations, scripts and templates at every step of the way. Any project is a collaboration between service buyer and provider in which creative ideas are exchanged, so real-time communication and feedback over YIM is appreciated. The service provider must have broadband internet access.
The server is running FreeBSD and SSH access will be provided, but first your IP address will have to be added to the SSH firewall access list. If you are confident in your Perl/CGI/Shell scripting skills, the tasks outlined in this project should not pose an overwhelming challenge for you. If all goes well, your services may be retained.
Please note, I work best with friendly, team-oriented, liberal minded individuals possessing sound English language/communication skills and good work ethic. Priority consideration will be given to those who can begin work soon and respond promptly to private messages. Should your bid be selected, and you do not accept the offer within the hour, the project will be reopened to bidding again. Thanks in advance for your understanding and cooperation!