I need someone to spend 3-4 hours reading a draft of a functional specification, suggesting ways to improve it, actually improving it, and generally giving advice. The aim is to be able to get it ready for making a technical specification as the next stage, before handing it off to a developer.
It is 17 pages long with 14 wireframes, 1 ER diagram, 1 sitemap, and 1 storyboard (flowchart). You can have it in .odt, .doc, pdf or most other formats.
It relates to a database-driven site, with a rather banal functionality. Nevertheless, you should be motivated to suggest ways to improve the specification, and where possible simply make the suggested changes (we can track changes if you want to do it in MS word, record changes in Open Office or use other methods if you prefer other formats).
The kinds of questions I am after answers for are:
1. Are there any ways to improve the functional specification or make it clearer?
2. Any way to bring down the development cost? E.g. would more conventional signup
or checkout processes save development time/money? Any simpler/easier database structure?
3. How to future-proof it for internationalization/localization for example so additional languages can be added easily?
4. Any existing code that can be modified/adapted?
5. Recommended language(s) to do it in? PHP/MySQL? RoR?
6. Any mistakes?
7. Any suggestions to improve usability?
8. Suggested features for administration system?
9. Anything that is dangerously vague (i.e. a lazy developer could use it as an excuse to not give me what I obviously want)?
10. Pathways forward to make a technical spec? UML?
11. Security holes?
I am more interested in changes to the actual content than to style. For example, unless there is a very good reason for it, I don’t want you burning time by simply changing the existing storyboard flowchart into a tabular format. If you come up with anything that simple, you can suggest that I do it, give an example and move on.
We can pre-arrange a block of time in which I will be online while you work if you like
Criticism should be specific, e.g. instead of “xyz is unclear” it should (where possible) state something like: “it is unclear whether by xyz you mean a or b. If (as I think you do) you mean b, then you should state it like this (example) and note that you must modify c accordingly. Incidentally, suitable source code for this can be found at…”
When you bid, please tell me a little about your relevant background, why you are interested in the job, how much actual time you willneed, and what format you would like the specification in. You will need very good English for this job.