Our client has to regularly update Windows, SQL and IIS on 104 machines scattered on 10 Active Directories.
They currently perform this task manually via WSUS, which means that their technician has to manually login to each VM, download updates, wait, install updates, wait again, reboot if needed, then logout, and do the same thing with the next VM. It takes a massive time and effort, and so they are looking to automate this process with a Powershell script that they can run manually to update all their VMs when needed.
Here are more technical details on the context and requirements, please read carefully:
- The 10 Active Directories are linked via a one-way trust relationship (1 trusted main domain and 9 trusting domains)
- The script will be run from the trusted main domain
- the script will run only when manually executed, it will not be scheduled
- The script will prompt the technician to enter their admin login credential. If correct, then the script will run.
- For each machine, the script will download and install all the updates available for Windows (security + critical patching), SQL and IIS.
- The script will force reboot the VM at the end of the update sequence if required by one or more updates.
- Only 4 VMs have a particular rebooting sequence, they will be communicated later on by the client
- the script will deliver a report at the end of each run (summarizing what updates have been installed or failed on which machines)
- the script will ignore if an update fails to download or install, it will just mention it in the report at the end of the run
- the script must be adaptable by making a reference to a text file / CSV where all the target machine names are listed, this way the client can add/remove them.
- the script will update up to 10 machines at a time only to avoid bandwidth overload.
- The client has a management domain which will be used for testing before submitting UAT
20 freelancers are bidding on average $1298 for this job
Hey there, I'm a Systems Engineer with coding skills. I had developed tons of scripts using Powershell. I have the required skills and experience. I can help. Regards.
Hey I'm Nadav! I read through your project description and I will be able to do this script for you to update all of your clients as needed. Let me know when I can start, looking forward to work with you.
Hi there, I am interested in the project. I have expertise in powershell scripting for windows administrator and I am sure I can deliver you the exact solution you are looking for. Thank You.
I am an IT infrastructure expert with 12 years of experience in Infrastructure automation. I can certainly help u in this scenario and fix the issue for you.
I have done many windows patch r elated automation like not patch for 40 days, patch failed, cache issue on patching, reporting in csv. AD related custom report worked lot with stale accounts.