I "inherited" a Ruby on Rails project from another developer; the site is a specialist CMS for a membership site (some content is public, some is members only, member's privacy is of vital importance). It does NOT have a test suite - although I have started adding some Cucumber stories to some pieces of functionality.
I have already done a lot of work on revamping how the membership system works; however there is also a list of other enhancements and bugs to be fixed. A couple of the items are about a day's work apiece, the rest are minor view changes or validations; I estimate this to be around fours days worth of work (including learning time to get up to speed) - unfortunately at the moment I do not have the resources to complete the work myself, so I am looking for a Ruby on Rails developer to code these changes for me.
* Knowledge of Rails 2.3.5
* Ability to pick up existing code quickly
* Knowledge of using Git for version control (I am using Github to store the source)
* Some graphics/image editing capability (the client is quite particular about the appearance of buttons etc)
* Availability over IM for at least a couple of hours per day (I am in the UK)
I will be using Redmine for issue tracking - each work item will be added as a ticket in Redmine and I will include suggestions of which models/controllers etc need to be altered to make the required changes.
The items that need work are:
* Members often enter their data in all-lower-case - validations need adding to attempt to auto-capitalise names if they are all lower-case
* Badges needed for the social media links (there are links to the client's Myspace, Facebook and Twitter pages - these need small graphics adding to make the links look better)
* There is an inbuilt email editor, using FCKEditor to send HTML emails to members. This needs the ability to add attachments - PDFs and inline images.
* All mailto-links across the site need to be replaced with links to the "contact us" page
* There is a members directory page, listing site-members (who have their privacy settings set to "public"). This needs a new optional filter adding (based upon a boolean field in the User model)
* A tab in the main layout needs the text changing. The tabs are all graphics, so changing the text involves recreating the images for the entire tab bar - unfortunately we do not have access to the original PSD, so the images will need to be recreated from scratch
* The site generates RSS feeds for certain sections of the site; however, new RSS feeds need adding (reusing the existing code in different controllers)
* When a site member uses the inbuilt email facility to send a message, they should receive an acknowledgement email letting them know that their message was sent successfully
* The display of archived events needs to be altered - sort order changes and the display should hide certain elements
* Extra validation (on post length) needed when a member adds a new blog post to the site
* AJAX form needed - when creating a CMS page you can also create a "page group" - this needs to work over AJAX, instead of as a separate page, so that your page details are not lost
* Remove an icon from the events listings view
The successful applicant is expected to complete all the items above to my satisfaction - for each item, I can include pointers as to which models, views and controllers are involved, with a suggestion on how to perform the work. I would like each item as a single commit into a git branch that I can then approve or return for further development.
If this work goes well, I have a number of similar Rails projects (CMS style applications, mainly with no tests, that I inherited from other developers) that need general bug-fixes and enhancements doing, so good work here WILL lead to further contracts.
I look forward to reading your applications.
14 freelancers are bidding on average $563 for this job
Hi. We are a pair of experienced (3+ years) Ruby/Rails developers who are willing to take on your project. Please refer to your private messages for more information.
following are my work samples please have a look on them and let me know, thanks. [url removed, login to view] [url removed, login to view] [url removed, login to view] [url removed, login to view] [url removed, login to view] http://inkscroll-001.vm.brightbox.n More
Hi, All the items to work on are small but the code digging itself will take some time... So 2 days for code understanding, 7 days for changes and 3 days buffer.
Hi, I have over 2 years of Ruby on Rails experience and will be glad to be of service to you, I give money back guarantee. Hoping to hear from you asap. Thanks & Regards, Dhruva Sagar.
Hello, We have read the posting and would like develop as per your [url removed, login to view] check your private messages for more information about this project. I hope to assist you with it.