NO AGENCIES. INDIVIDUALS ONLY PLEASE!
I want you to use a tool like a VPN or a HTTP Proxy to find out what URLs apps are calling. You will need strong networking skills and a very curious mind. Also beneficial might be some scripting skills
1. Use your iPhone/iPod to download 10 free apps (*list is below).
2. Shutdown all other background apps
3. Connect your phone through a VPN that you setup through an HTTP Proxy. My goal is for you to experiment and find the system which we can have other people use with minimal setup (asking end users to install a proxy on their network like CharlesProxy is not scalable, but asking them to install a certificate and setup a VPN is possible).
4. Monitor which URL's are being called from the 10 apps.
5. If you have scripting skills, write a script to classify the URL's into analytics tools, marketing tools or other. Note, the HTTP User-agent identifies the app, so you can ignore noise from other apps in the logs. Provide a summary report to me of the analytics tools used in each app. If you don't have scripting skills, thats OK, I can do that bit.
My long term goal is to build a database of different tools being embedded into Android and iPhone apps. The data is valuable and doesn't exist on the web.
You can use Perl, Python, node.js or Ruby to process the log file. No other languages please. You can use AWS or any other environment to setup a proxy or VPN. I will pay for any software or hosting you need.
If you have web development or scripting skills please let me know as well in your response.
The list of iPhone/iPad apps you need to download and track:
- News Flash
(I'm flexible on this list. It is not important that it is this exact list of apps).