Open Knowledge Association (OKA) is a non-profit dedicated to improving Wikipedia. We do so by providing monthly stipends to full-time translators.
OKA translators have a high degree of freedom in what they translate. They publish on Wikipedia from their own account and keep all the credit for their work.
Our team currently consists of two Spanish to English translators, and we are looking to expand into other languages.
No previous experience in translating Wikipedia is required for this role. In fact, none of the translators in our team had ever done an edit on Wikipedia prior to joining OKA. This is a high-impact role, as the translations you publish will be visible to billions of Wikipedia users throughout the world.
Instructions on the process we follow for the translation are available here ([login to view URL]) and provide an overview of what OKA translators do in their day-to-day.
Typically, our translators publish 2-5 articles per week (depending on the size), once they have gained more experience. They leverage Machine translation to accelerate the process. The list of what we already published is available at the bottom of this document ([login to view URL])
- 340 USD per month (assuming 40h per week. Proportionally reduced if you decide to work less)
- Complete freedom on working hours and working days
- Paid monthly through Freelancer.com in the currency of your choice
- Near-perfect fluency in English and at least one other Wikipedia language (e.g., French, Russian, Chinese, Portuguese, Italian, German, Arabic, Japanese, etc.)
- Willingness to work at least 30h per week in a remote setup
- Self-learner and comfortable with technology. We will provide you with instructions on how Wikipedia works, and you will get help from other translators when you have questions, but you will need to learn a lot by yourself too
- Previous experience in translation
- If your profile is selected, you will be invited for a 20 minutes chat
- If you are successful, you can immediately start with a 1-week trial (paid), during which you will already start translating your first article
- At the end of each day, you will share with us your "work in progress wiki code", so that we can see how you are progressing. The trial can be stopped at any point by either side, in which case the days already worked will be paid pro-rata
- At the end of the week, if you have progressed far enough, you will join as a full member of the team
58 freelancers are bidding on average $432 for this job
Hi, i am Russian-English, English,-Russian professional translator and native- speaker. I have vast kniwledge in many areas and due to my profession love to search the Internet.
Hi there, I'm Mohammed I think I'm suitable for the job you are offering because of my background on English literature and also I'm an Arabic native speaker.