Osmoscape is a collaborative effort and a culmination of three years of research, which seeks to explore a new way of archiving data. The idea is to have an interactive book which is also accessible through a web app that is free and open source. The app essentially has around 60 datasets loaded as SVG along with corresponding music files. The user can choose to hover on a dataset and can read more or create a new Musical composition from the music files.
Demos and code:
We have few demos for you to try: [login to view URL]
What you will see once you open the link below is a sound composition scroll, which is designed as a long landscape. “Navigation”, “Legends & popup” should give you a fair bit of idea on the interaction for scroll. It’s currently work in progress, so if you find any bugs, great! Just let us know and if possible any solutions too.
You can find all the source code here: [login to view URL]
Note: preferred browser chrome/firefox/safari, device can be laptop/desktop.
You can quickly give it a try here: [login to view URL]
Project Scope & Deliverables:
While many of the core functionalities & challenges to display data have been implemented. What we mainly need is more EXPLORATION to be done with sound. We have a Granular synthesizer working ([login to view URL]
). It picks up 3 different tracks and plays them when it’s dragged around. We want to make it more fun and interesting
so, how would that be?
We need the following FEATURES delivered:
A. Sound and compositions
- Dynamic addition, removal, and substitution of sound files
- Parameter automation and looping
- Midi Control and OSC input
- Gesture recording/animation of data-samples and play positions
- Tempo-synced grains, both to a master clock, and locally between data-samples
- Control over stereo positioning of grains/data-samples/rectangles
- Saving capability:
- Store data-samples and composition configurations
- Audio/Video export
- Sharing capabilities:
- Share stored compositions on Twitter /& Instagram
C. Data reading capabilities:
- Filter and search for datasets
- Smoother Zoom and Pan interactions
- Collaborator Edit/Suggestions for datasets