My dad was in Army, so I grew up trying various things and interacting with various communities. After completing my Bachelors in Maths, I decided to pursue my computer passion. I joined Masters in Computer Application (MCA) and along with MCA I did my Masters in Business Administration (MBA) from one of the top Indian Business Schools. During my study, I started a business with 3 other batchmates. After going through tough time, I joined another web start up as a first employee. There I worked as programmer, designer, architect, content writer, link developer and a lot of other dirty work. With good VC support we were able to invest a lot of time in research. From Click fraud detection to second layer search engine, we tried a lot of things. In 3 years we were able to rank high for very high competition keywords. More importantly, we were able to create big financial communities. Now after working on various products, I am into service industry.
My Job History
- 2009 (March) - [login to view URL] teaching SEO clients and SEO companies. Also helping people with web marketing.
- 2008 (May) - 2009 (March) – Department head for web marketing department at Digital Avenues Ltd
- 2003 – 2008 (May) – With Great Media technologies as Grmtech Leader. Worked directly under the CEO at business level. Handled many projects mainly web community creation, web products.
- 2002 – 2004: Founded 4 members Idealog development group, worked for MNCs like OTIS, Phoenix Yule and Nicolos Piramal. Also created few products, 2 stock exchange games, HR application.
- 2003 (9 Months industry training) – With Alumnus software Ltd worked on J2ME, Java, PHP based education package and automata based documentation.
My current responsibilities and passion:
Educating clients about web marketing and their role in it. I am also planning to write a book on it. I am trying to create web entrepreneurs in India [login to view URL] . Also involved in create a system for web marketing industry where people can see an open standard of work.
• My Current Research Topics (Old)
• Adding distributed site based human intelligence to Google powered search with a better revenue model than Adsense.
• Simplifying forums/wikis/blogs/websites for a better community participation, analysis of participation behavior for communities.
• How to handle maximum work and planning through emails (or one login) using filters and mail search (using greasemonkey, firefox, gmail). This can help entrepreneurs.
• Effective ways of using log files for behavioral analysis and user experiences (average click paths, filters etc).
• Incentive designing with localized visions to develop a highly motivated team.
• Skill Sets (Top 6 under each category) – See Page 3 for details
• Technology: Web business Platform/Architecture design using open source integration, Updated with Latest Web Tech, Algorithms, Product design including scalable DB designs, Search Engine Marketing & Linux Servers.
• Marketing: Community building (Crowdsourcing), Simplifying Technology for usability, improving readability, viral marketing, Designing better search and Community/Market Watch.
• Business Management: Culture design, Team modeling, Resource planning, Competition analysis, Business architecture planning and Investment.
• HR Management: Incentive designs, Mentoring, Team building, Solving conflicts, Recruitment and defining decision approaches using collective Intelligence.
• US credit system: Debt consolidation, Mortgage, Insurance, Credit scores/ratings, Payday loans & Budgeting.
• Top 4 professional Achievements
• Joined Grmtech as a developer and now I am involved in almost all parts of business, completing 4 years (over 16,000 hrs of experience). I handle 7 innovation centers, 5 big enough teams/projects. I am involved with many web products (almost 25). Apex Award.
• Leading teams since the last 10 years.
• Started a group (Idealog) with friends at Business School and worked with few big companies. Started Soch, Computer awareness programs for army families. Made Ads and presentations on various topics at business school, participated in competitions.
• Diversification: My Dad was in Army, hence acquired training in various parts of India. I can see the cultural diversification in me, which is helping me.
Learned at Character level
• Many of innovations will fail, as the probability of success is only .01, keep innovating for success.
• I understand the value of being honest. I am still humble and hardworking. I either enjoy my work thoroughly or find a solution for it. Without passion quality work is impossible.
• I am a quick learner. I learn things very fast and have a multi-dimension thinking.
• You are no better than your team and if you do not know your team you have none. I value my team/members over anything and rest follows.
• 2001 – 2004: Techno-Manager MCA from Army Institute of Management with 1.5 years of MBA. Came 4th and got 2 scholarships.
• 1997 – 2001: BSc (Maths Hons) from St Xaviers College. Almost a first class.
• XII – [login to view URL] Kerala, scored 82% in PCM.
• Xth – Kendriya Vidayala, Damana, Jammu. Scored 77% in PCM.
• Work Experience
• 2008 (May) – Current – Delivery manager (Department head for web marketing department and product department) at Digital Avenues Ltd
• 2003 – 2008 (May) – With Great Media technologies as Grmtech Leader. Worked directly under the CEO at business level.
• 2002 – 2004: Founded 4 members Idealog development group, worked for MNCs like OTIS, Phoenix Yule and Nicolos Piramal. Also created one product, a stock exchange game.
• 2003 (9 Months industry training) – With Alumnus software Ltd worked on J2ME, Java, PHP based education package and automata based documentation.
• Date of Birth: 5th Sep 1979
• Sex: Male
• Marital Status: Single
• Hobbies: I am good at many games (TT, volleyball, cricket, football etc), philanthropic work, business books/articles, blogging.
Details of my work
• Integrating open source application with the framework. Using open source applications for competitive advantage. Integrating open source is an art as with every update it can break. I have worked with SugarCRM, PhpBB, wordpress, mediawiki, pmwiki, SVN, many CMS, Asterisk PBX, phplist, video apps, help live center and many more open source and integration.
• Developing Web products (Random 10):
1. Handled teams for many web communities (sites will be given on request). It contains many sub products. Some are #1 community now.
2. Managing forums through emails.
3. Handled teams for web analytic product [login to view URL], this was to check click fraud.
4. Handled teams for [login to view URL], a concept of community based website reviews. A very promising project with integration with Search engines results.
5. Multi user wordpress which is better than [login to view URL], donated to [login to view URL]
6. Floating orkut for blogosphere.
7. An affiliate system working with natural URLs.
8. Many PhpBB mods like community spam controls without captchas, custom urls etc.
9. A better cache system using Htaccess, 404handler, APC cache. Multi country domains using htaccess.
10. Working on a “Blog List posting” on a daily basis to convert blog readers to blog writers.
• Developed Technology framework for Grmtech: We are a web-based company and needed a technology framework for faster web apps. I played a major role in developing the technology framework. This framework is based on SVN, 404 based cache. Alpha, beta, production and backup servers are configured for each project under this framework.
• Linux server Handling: Using IPKVM I manage servers remotely, remote installations, YUM based management, server consistency, XEN containers, regular moderation with Munins for load averages. Webmin based managed, virtual min based site management. Proper backup strategies.
• Making Sites faster: Speed is sales, HTTP_Pipelining support for faster rendering, MySQL optimization, PHP optimization, code optimization, server optimization, HTML code optimization, Header checking, IF-Modified header, Gzip enabling etc
• Other Web works: We do so much of creative work every day it is difficult to document all. I scan almost 100 blog posts everyday to keep myself updated using google blog reader.
• Crowdsourcing: I am working with communities for almost 3 years, “How a group of people can make better decision and how a community can make a better sales force”. Simplifying forums and other application for better participation. We also arrange gathering at various parts of the world.
• User experience: Increasing the user experience with proper Google analytics checks. A proper navigation through proper analysis, this looks simple but plays major role in success.
• Blogosphere networking: Blogs are important part of viral marketing. I make relationship with other bloggers. I also conducted Blog hunt for Indian business schools [login to view URL]
• Scan-able content representation: No one reads content they scan it (F/E pattern), making it scan-able is great challenge.
• Understanding the market opportunities and designing required sections with viral marketing. We have forums with over 1,00,000 members and over 3,00,000 posts. This is one of the strongest communities.
• Search Engine marketing: This is a little different from other marketing as people expect some patterns on the landing pages. [login to view URL]
Search Engine Marketing
• I have spent a lot of time in Search Engine Marketing, “You sell to people who want to buy”.
• Link building strategies – Link attractive sites, different link strategies to stay up.
• Increasing Stickiness of the page for better ranking.
• Limited On-page optimization and avoiding any SE unfriendly patterns.
• Domain name selections – Phone testing and billboard testing.
• I wrote a book for our office with latest SE marketing approaches.
• Incentive system design – Direct task/achievement based incentives with localized visions for a faster growth for startup companies.
• Optimum team resource management and working like an internal investor.
• Recruitments, appraisals, promotions, training, mentoring.
• Team building, all the project managers’ reports to me. I spend time in understanding team members.
• Resolving conflicts at a higher level, when it is not controlled at team level.
• Training material management and innovative ways of saving time and money for training.
• Organization chart and hierarchy. I also innovated hierarchy based on energy transfer in an organization.
• Competition analysis and investment advises.
• Decision-making on buying/developing different applications.
• Company policies for innovative minds. Also allows breaking free sometimes.
• Other office arrangements and investment discussion. Generally a part of board meeting for major decisions.
US credit system
• Debt – Different debt solution and how a law firm handles it. Debt Consolidation, Debt Settlement and other solutions. Handling a forum where different queries come in. Payday loans and its impact on the society. SOLs for different states.
• Credit – Credit Scores, Fico, vantage score, credit reports (Experian, Transunion and Equifax), impact of different transaction on credit ratings and different improvement techniques. Different laws.
• Mortgages – Lender selection (community creation), different calculators, different type of loans (FRM, ARM etc), different costs etc. Insurances – Life, auto and different queries related to it.
• Worked with a law firm.