My commercial experience has been primarily in embedded software development for home automation systems - C programming, microcontollers (PIC, Atmel AVR and STM32s), real-time operating systems, API design and communication protocols.
I have meaningful experience with server-side development and relational databases also however - in Perl, Python and PostgreSQL primarily.
I have a first-class Bachelors degree of Electrical & Electronic Engineering.
Note: Don't take my hourly rate seriously. It may be (significantly) more or less depending on the job.
David is an exemplary engineer. He is whip smart. Fun to work with. Personable. Delivers above and beyond. I look forward to working with him again. He built a robot wall plotter for me and an app for the phone. Thank you, David.
- Embedded software development on 8-bit and 32-bit microcontrollers
- Development of a bespoke networking layer for low-rate wireless networks
- Preparation of documentation for client and other developers
Cooperative engineer (intern)
Mar 2013 - Aug 2013 (5 months, 1 day)
As part of my responsibilities in Vistakon (part of Johnson & Johnson Vision Care) I
- tested and deployed software for plant expansion in an FDA-regulated environment
- gained in-depth exposure to a state-of-the-art industrial control system, GAMP (Good Automated
Manufacturing Practices), and GDP (Good Documentation Practices)
- kept managers and supervisors informed of project status with regular reports
Programmer & Technician
Jun 2012 - Sep 2012 (3 months, 1 day)
Implementation of a GSM communications gateway for an embedded system; a complete implementation of the DEX vending-machine protocol on 16-bit PIC microcontrollers.
I also introduced the company to low-cost 3D printing - the fused-deposition modelling (FDM) process specifically. We are currently building a newer and faster version of these machines based on inverse kinematics - a type of delta robot essentially.
Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Dublin Institute of Technology, Ireland 2010 - 2014
Contact David Collins about your job
Log in to discuss any details over chat.
Basic Numeracy 1 95% C Programming 1 92% SQL 1 90% US English 1 90%