Curriculum Vitae (without contact information)
1993 – 1999
MA in English Language and Literature, University of Leiden in the Netherlands.
Subjects: English literature, linguistics, philology, language acquisition, text analysis, etc.
Double major: English Literature and African Studies.
Thesis: The Power of Tradition: Images of Women in Urban Kenya Today and their Reflections in Children’s Literature.
1979 – 1980
Secretarial College, Instituut Schoevers in Rijswijk, the Netherlands, English/Dutch.
1977 – 1978
General Certificate of Education Examination for Centres Overseas, Advanced Level, University of London.
Subjects: English, Dutch.
1976 – 1977
General Certificate of Education Examination for Centres Overseas, Ordinary Level, University of London.
Subjects: English Language, English Literature, etc.
- My CAT tool is Wordfast 5.
- I have dictionaries and spell/grammar checks installed on my computer (Microsoft Office Proofing Tools 2003)
- My computer runs on a broadband cable connection.
- I use Windows XP, and have Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and FrontPage.
My work, both professional and voluntary, has consisted of translating both from NL-EN and EN-NL.
2005 (a grab-bag)
- (EN-NL) 35,000 words of SAP R/3 computer training manuals for the logistics industry, both Word documents and PowerPoint presentations. Worked as one of a 10 member team (TypeStream, Norway).
- (EN-NL) 7,000 words computer training manuals for sales and manufacturing departments. I managed and mentored a four-member novice translator team during this job (Global eSolutions, Malaysia).
- (EN-NL) 1500 words of user instructions for various electric alarm clocks (Yonto Risio Communications, Hong Kong).
- (EN-NL) 650 words of sales pitch for mechanical stilts (Global Language Services, Scotland).
- (NL-EN) 1500 words of school certificates, mark sheets, subject lists (Aadake Translations, Australia).
- (NL-EN) 70,000+ words of technical user manuals, testing procedures, and test results. I worked as part of a 35 member team (TransConsult, Belgium).
- (NL-EN) 34,000 words of SAP R/3 computer training manuals for the chemical industry (Overtaal, the Netherlands).
1990 - 2005
I have experience translating and editing graduate theses, letters, documents, business brochures, etc. on a freelance basis. I spent two years translating letters and short documents as a volunteer for Foster Parents PLAN in the Netherlands.
I have also written two English language children’s books which are to be published late 2005 by Kenya Literature Bureau.
Areas of Expertise:
- Literature, Africa, developing countries, travel, children, logistics, SAP.
- My extensive experience in administrative positions has given me strong organizational skills.
- I am a quick study, and find that I can readily become familiar with new terminology after some in-depth research.
I am a Dutch citizen, but because of extensive traveling, I have enjoyed a Dutch, American and British education, and as a result my knowledge of the English and Dutch languages goes far beyond simple linguistics to include a deep understanding of their cultural backgrounds.
I am very hard-working, reliable, flexible and independent, supported by strong researching and organizational skills.