- 23+ years in the Seattle software development industry.
- 17+ years in employee management
- 19+ years successfully managing hundreds of commercial software projects from start to finish, including:
-- Requirements definition
-- Portfolio management
-- Process definition and improvement
-- Managing project managers, developers, QA, designers, tech writers, build team
-- Reporting to stakeholders at all levels
-- Production deployments of large Software As A Service (SaaS) systems
-- Hiring, interviewing, team building and development
- Held technical positions from entry level to senior developer.
- PMP Certified
- 6+ years managing scrum (Agile) teams, 18+ full PMBOK
- Full development process from requirements to shipping and support
- Most projects have either been directly for Fortune 500 customers, or were products or systems that were built for Fortune 500 companies.
- Recent projects are .Net SaaS, but others include embedded, telephony, server based, speech recognition, and desktop applications.
- Also worked in tech support, usability, training, and even data center installations
Specialty: I ship software - hundreds and hundreds of commercial releases, both big and small. SaaS, Enterprise, Telephony, Boxed Product, and Embedded. I fix broken teams and products, and build happy teams that ship good software on time.
Software Development Manager for the Ebook Vendor Experience in the Kindle group at Amazon. We build the systems that large publishers use to send millions of ebooks to Amazon. Responsible for team management, cross-team project management, Scrum Master role, operational management, planning, and people management.
- Managed a software development team that developed and maintained the ingestion of all Kindle EBooks from all, large publishers, worldwide.
- Agile Development – Scrum and Kanban methodologies used, create a custom “ScrumBan” method developed to balance new features and operations.
- Large amount of data, highly scaled systems with high availability.
- International work with customers, publishers, and other Amazon teams.
- Large amount of cross-team coordination.
Scrum Master / Dev Manager
Aug 2008 - Apr 2015 (6 years, 8 months)
I managed a team of software developers and testers who use Agile Scrum methodology to make software for the world's largest technology company. Our applications managed billions of dollars in transactions each year - more than 70% of their enterprise business. We developed both Windows desktop and Software as a Service (SaaS) applications using Microsoft .Net, Visual Studio, and Team Foundation Server. We deployed sprints to production every month - on time, with good quality, and my team worked normal hours. We also consistently exceed our up-time commitments.
Responsibilities included people management, project management, requirements gathering, scrum master, high level architecture.
Microsoft / Compucom
Aug 2007 - Aug 2008 (1 year)
One year contract to lead a CIO sponsored, $3.3 million re-engineering effort in the Microsoft IT department to move a legacy client-server application to a .NET, Service Oriented Architecture. The project is mission critical to Microsoft - all Microsoft products pass through this system on the way to manufacturing. Very high visibility with numerous stakeholders on 3 continents and a development team in India.
BS Computer Science
Wichita State University, United States 1985 - 1990