Need some work done? Post a Project Today
Dedicated to my favorite german shepherd dog Axel who was lost in December 2010, this application will help pet owners quickly communicate the loss of their pet so that there is a greater chance they will be reunited.
The facebook application entitled "Axel's Alert" shall provide the following functionality-
1. Allows users to post messages and photos of lost pets to be distributed to friends in their network and (default setting) only in the users vicinity network (i.e. assumes that the user's lost pet is not lost "nationwide" but only in their area).
2. Allows user to select additional friends in network outside of their network
3. Allows user to select all friends
4. Message received by users friends allows friends to "pass on the message" to their friends using the same logic above.
5. Message received by users friends allows users friends to "opt out" of receiving future messages or to accept the message. Accepting the message will prompt the user to accept or deny access by the app. Acceptance will bring the user to a page where the user has set up further information about their lost pet
6. The app shall provide the user general information and instructions on use of the app such as
a. Setting up a separate facebook page for the lost pet with descriptive information and status of the animal
b. Instructions on how to enter their message to their friends with picture. Including an example.
7. Message functionality allows user to provide their own custom description of the lost pet etc, but also always provides the following text "Please accept this message about my lost pet. Accepting this message could mean you will save my pet's life and it is a very simple gift you can give me, the gift of hope which will take only a few seconds. When you accept this message, you will receive information about my lost pet and a request to allow this application to send this exact same message to friends that live in our vicinity. This will improve the chances that my pet is found. Please help me by accepting this message. You can learn more about this application at www.facebook.com\axelsalert ."
8. The app shall prompt the user to accept or deny future messages/notifications regarding lost pets in their area.
9. The app shall automatically provide users that have accepted item 8 above, information about lost pets in their area as lost pets in their area are submitted.
10. Provides a content rich facebook profile page with the ability for users to sign up to receive notifications for lost pets in their area. Content will include:
a. What to do when you have lost a pet
- who to notify (neighbors, police, animal shelters, humane society, mailman etc.)
- sample flier/poster
- tips and precautions
b. crisp graphics and icons
c. A "What kind of dog are you" questionaire with answers that can be posted to the user's wall with a note about the origin of the questionaire from Axel's Alert
d. Repeat c above but for Cats instead of Dogs
e. Listings of submitted lost pet information
11. Provides functionality to route submitted information about lost pets to cell phones and email addresses for users in the users vicintinty network.
12. Provides an option to the user to allow alerts to be sent to their mobile phone and or email address. Includes an option to receive a picture of the lost pet.
13 Provides website hosting at a competitive price
A similar example can be found at http://www.facebook.com/AMBERalertON
Once the above work is completed, additional add on work to create a mobile app may be possible.
Additional Project Description:
12/23/2010 at 12:08 HKT
Correction: A similar example can be found at http://apps.facebook.com/causes/causes/289373-amber-alert-on-facebook/pledge?flow=Join&n=63