Web Site Design Plan Site Name: Speaking of English
The purpose of this site is to foster real communicative language exchange between students in various countries in a controlled learning (online) environment. Particularly and immediately, the site will be a tool for building a partnership between American High school students and Korean high school students. Korean students will have the chance to use the English language in an authentic way while American students will be exposed to the Korean language. Both parties will be introduced and gain first hand knowledge of the other's culture.
The web site will essentially be a synthesis of the tools available on sites like facebook,com, [url removed, login to view], [url removed, login to view] and voicethread.com.
The site should include the following features:
1. The ability to create individual profiles that will include pictures, videos and music.
2. Profile necessity in order to participate in the site.
3. Virtual classrooms in which only students from actual classes will have access to.
4. The virtual classrooms will be linked to partner classrooms. For example, class 105 in Korean will automatically be linked to class 12 in America.
5. The virtual classrooms should have the following capabilities:
a. allow students/teachers to create written threads
b. allow students/teachers to create voice threads
c. allow the threads to function as a video. Check out voicethread.com. Students should be able to draw and highlight things with their speech.
d. allow for real-time communication: written and orally
6. The site should include a grade book that will allow students to see their individual grades.
7. The site should have the ability to host uploaded powerpoint presentations, videos and audio files.
8. The site should include e-mail features that will both be an e-mail client and forward to other e-mail accounts.
9. A class syllabus and materials section.
10. Finally, a Community section should be a part of the site. This will be a free section where students can socialize apart from their password protected classrooms and engage in free talk (verbally and written).
I am hoping for a clear, attractive and engaging website that many school districts will be able to use.